Monday, December 17, 2007

Baby boys cause undue stress

So before Ella was born we had the great circumcision debate complete with research on both sides of the fence. I found most of this research to be confusing, unhelpful and very stressful on someone that could be about to give birth to a son or a daughter. In fact I was so concerned about this issue, and we were still undecided (though leaning toward no circumcision), that when Ella was delivered and the Dr. said it's a girl--my first comment to David was, "Now we don't have to decide about circumcision!"

So now I'm 23 weeks with baby #2---who could be a boy or a girl---and we're still undecided about circumcision. I recently brought the issue up with David again and said, "We never decided, remember? So tonight I happened across a link to a recent New York Times article on the subject. Take a read if you want, and even read the two supporting articles from each contributing Doctor. Let me know what you think.

Seriously this time.
All you blog lurkers out there--share your thoughts and help a pregnant woman out!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having experienced circumcision myself, I am dead set against anyone else ever being circumcised unless it's a medical necessity or they choose it of their own free (and fully informed) will.

The reasons are numerous, and I'll list a few of them, in no particular order.

1. It's totally unnecessary surgery.
2. Perfectly healthy body parts are removed.
3. The body parts removed serve a protective function.
4. The body parts removed serve the function of producing pleasure.
5. What's removed is totally a judgment call, different every time. It's really not "yes, or no", it's "no, or how much." The very idea of deciding how much penis to keep and how much to discard should be a sobering concept. Article
6. Not circumcising means he can always decide differently. Circumcising means he looses the option to be intact, forever.
7. The lame but often heard reason that it's the "normal" thing to do isn't even true anymore.

There are many, many more reasons.

I sincerely regret having been circumcised. If you have a son, I hope he doesn't need to experience the invasion of rights and body that I did.

Thank for opening this up for comment!

1:25 PM  
Blogger HTE said...

Thanks for your comment, but do I know you?

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We too were undecided at the time of Tori's birth. I recall leaving the decision up to Jeff & he also leaning towards no. It's not an easy decision.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Eric McPherson said...

Hey Heather and David, Good to hear from you. On the circumcision thing, I myself feel good about my own. Of course, I had plenty to spare (hee,hee). We left the decision about our son to him, and on day 6 he went with the call to cut. He didn't talk until day 4 so he had us worried about what to do. So far, he reports no regrets about having his penis mutilated. Fortunately, any angst he feels can be alleviated by free therapy. Eric

7:17 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Heather, I will state the obvious that it is a decision between you and David. You do what you feel is best for your child. You shouldn't be criticized with whatever choice you make. That being said, how does David feel being/not being circumcised? If he was does he feel violated? Is he happy with it? If he wasn't, did he want to be? Was he happy with the choice to be left to him? You two decide on your own. We had Ethan circumcised. Good luck. You still have time! :)

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't recall this being a point of such indecision three-and-a-half years ago. It's still your choice in 2008. But I have no regrets or second-guessing about deciding FOR this in our cases. Seems like there were hygiene reasons that the Lord decided in the Old Law that Jewish males would have this done, in addition to a covenant sign between them and God. Of course, no real biblical or religious significance exists today that I could see. And health conditions are better, as well.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home