Tuesday, May 01, 2007

May Day

Today is May Day, a day that commemorates the workers’ struggle across the world (read about it here). It seems strange to me that only recently was I made aware of the true meaning of this day. My May Day memories as a child of playing ding dong ditch 'em leaving flowers at the front door, is far from being related to the "workers' struggle".

Maybe it's just me but I constantly find things that make me ask why, when put in global perspective, is our country so wonderful in so many ways--but so desperately lacking in others? Even though much of the May Day origins came from the U.S., and in fact right here in the midwest, the meaning doesn't seem to have been passed down through generations as it should have been. Of course, there are still celebrations of spring/maypoles, etc. too. But not many "worker's rights" activities going on until recent years.

This photo is from the immigration march here today.

So just curious if any of you knew what the intent of May Day was, on a global perspective that is, and when you learned about it. Leave a comment please.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew this about what a seemingly sweet sound hoiday which is also my birthday, May 1- a day that I thought I knew all about! What a wonderful city of Culture you live in!!-Deb Grafe

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home