Saturday, February 09, 2008

This little piggy went to...

The Hon Kee and Sun Wah BBQ restaurant's on Argyle Street. If you don't know--we live right next to the "Second China town" which is more Vietnamese than Chinese. So Ella and I walked over to Argyle street for a "special lunch" on Friday to Patisserie P (where else can she and I both have a spectacular lunch with dessert for $3.51?)--and afterwards we lucked into pig delivery time on the street. This is not the first time it's happened, but we always have to stand and watch the man unload and carry in all of the butchered whole pigs to the restaurant. The difference this time was that Ella finally noticed the "hole" in their underside and asked me what it was. So after I explained it was where they had to cut them open to take out all of the body parts inside that we don't eat, she seemed satisfied but said, "Why are their eyes still on? That's silly--they should take them off too!" I had to agree with her. We decided they definitely had no need to see anymore.

We then headed to the red-line and while waiting for the train up on the platform we saw the truck pull up to another restaurant and got to watch more pigs being delivered. I think everyone was really loading up for Chinese New Year celebrations this weekend, because it seemed they brought alot more than usual. Anyhow, the conversation then turned to her saying, "But we don't eat pigs!" And I reminded her that most of her favorite food is pig: bacon, sausage, ham, pulled pork from Smoque.... She just said, "Oh." Maybe someday I'll have my camera with me when we see the deliveries--it's quite interesting, and something you can only experience living around here.


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger David, Samantha and Kaori said...

Can I add you to my blog roll? I am glad to be keeping in touch and reading the updates on your family!

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home