Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Circle of Life





My son Nicholas Alexander was born at 11:43 a.m. on April 10th. A few short hours later, my cousin Raney Leigh (McCullar) Fleck passed from this life after fighting a courageous battle with cancer for the past 18 months. She sadly leaves behind her wonderful husband Chris and their two sweet boys Jaren, age 6, and Conor age 18 months.

As I lied in the hospital bed being prepped for my cesarean section, terrified of course because I have a very strong dislike and fear of needles, IV's, spinals, anesthesiologists (sorry Jesse), surgeons, etc. I thought of Raney. I was talking to the nurse as she gave me my IV and I told her about Raney. I said to her, I keep telling myself that Raney is so strong and willing to do anything and right now she is also lying in a hospital bed literally fighting for every breath, so I can be brave and do this for a happy result--the birth of my child. It's amazing how it really helped me not be so nervous. Thank you Raney for helping me. I was so sad to not be able to tell Raney that it was a boy. Everyone, including Raney, was convinced it was a girl.

I will never forget April 10th and it will always be a bittersweet day, as we celebrate my son's birth but also are reminded of your death.

As all of you have read on this blog and known about Raney's illness, I know you have all offered up so many prayers on her and our family's behalf. Thank you for your kindness.

The circle of life continues.

Raney's obituary:
http://www.legacy.com/AZCentral/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=107649866

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Heather, I was so terribly sad to hear of her passing. I didn't even know her, yet as a mother felt like I did. I am praying for her family. It really is such a tragedy.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

When I got the news that Raney had passed, I couldn't believe it. Thanks to your constant updates and prayer requests on her behalf, I felt like I knew her. I think about her boys often. I'm so sorry for your family's loss, but so thankful for Nicholas' safe delivery!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

As I read your blog I thought of the following:

"20 Then Job arose, and rent his robe, and shaved his head, and fell upon the ground, and worshiped. 21 And he said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return; the LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." 22 In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong."

May the Lord bless you and your family and provide you with his blessing and comfort in both your joy and your lament. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

5:33 AM  
Blogger heather said...

oh, my. i know this happened two years ago, but Raney was my best friend in elementary school. for YEARS. we went to the same church. we both played flute. my mom watched her a lot after school, so she was a regular fixture in our home.
unfortunately, she moved, our church split and my life fell apart a few times due to my own illness. my grandmother--who continued attending the Stapely Church of Christ until her own death-- passed in 2004 or i definitely would have heard sooner.
Raney was wonderful. so wonderful i cried today when i found this blog for the loss her family must surely be experiencing.
i am terribly sorry for your loss. she was loved and will be lovingly remembered far and wide.
-heather west

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home